Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas To All

Yesterday, the Mission distributed baskets of food and gifts for Christmas to over 200 families. What a blessing to be able to help those in need during the holiday, but even more of a blessing was how the gifts arrived, in the hands of the compassionate members of our community. One organization, especially, donated toys and time to prepare the bags for those who'd come on the giveaway day. Below is an email we received from someone from this organization...

Last night I was at Wal-mart finishing up the shopping for the Christmas gift bags. I came out of the check out lanes with two carts loaded with gifts. As I was trying to man-handle the two carts a woman comes up to me and asks me if I need help. I graciously accepted the offer and explained to her what I was up to. She got the cart to my car and wished me a Merry Christmas. As I was leaving the parking lot, I was fumbling around for my phone to call home. Since I couldn't find it, I pulled off to a lighted area in the parking lot. This woman drove up beside me and said that she would like to help out. She gave me $20!! Now how many people do you know that would out of the blue give a complete stranger $20 and trust that the money would make it's way to the City Rescue Mission.

This woman touched my heart yesterday. There is still much kindness in this world.

This story was echoed in the many people who gave to help the City Rescue Mission, with either food, toys, or money. A few weeks ago, Cheryl, our Office Manager, drove the Mission van to Walmart and filled it with toys. Instead of red velvet and white fur, she wore a burgundy polo with a "Jesus Saves" logo. Instead of a sleigh, a powder blue passenger van. It was your gifts that helped fill that van, and 8 shopping carts, to provide Christmas to over 300 children. Thank you for helping us help others.

No comments: