Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Emptiness of our Hands

Working at the City Rescue Mission is, at one time, both highly rewarding and incredibly humbling. I wish I could find words capable of fully transmitting the feeling of opening a courtesy reply envelope and seeing a check and a note, "I wish I could give more, but I'm currently laid off from my job." Or how many people express a desire to give more or the regret that they can't give at this time.

I have an app on my desktop that allows me to receive internet headlines for the day, and one of those linked to a map showing the economic climate of every state during this "recession." I highlight that word because I noticed something as I scrolled over the fifty states. The earliest any other state began to fall into a recession was listed as October 2007, that I could find. Michigan was listed at April of 2006.

It amazes me, living in Michigan and seeing the state of our economy firsthand, how much our citizens still manage to give, even from limited incomes. D. L. Moody once said that character is what you are in the dark. When things are down. When it doesn't seem to matter any more. When no one is looking.

But we have so many who give, without recognition and in spite of personal sacrifices. So that is our good news for the day. The need is great, but through God's providence, compassion is greater.

No comments: