Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Do not worry about tomorrow...


Monday I was in an incredibly good mood. Not a common thing for a Monday, I have to admit. But there it was, a good mood. Then I came to work.

It isn't that I don't love my job or the fact that I get paid to help people. It's just that sometimes the "troubles" of life start to weigh heavy on your shoulders. Even on days that you're in an incredibly good mood.

Not that most of these were even my problems. Difficulties with guys on the program means difficulties for the program manager and director of operations; often times even the executive director gets a goodly dose of the trouble circulating around. And, despite what we may like, those feelings of agitation affect everyone around you. You wouldn't think one or two individuals could cause so many people so much frustration. However, when you're passionate about transforming the lives of those caught in addiction, that passion pulls you into the daily drama that is endemic with an "old life" being shaped into a "new one."

This frustration, of course, isn't uncommon in our line of work, but it was only one point in an overall "bad day." It was a busy day, and we were short staffed. It seems that need doesn't know when someone has gone home ill or the receptionist is taking the day off. Sales people must have made a resolution to make more calls in the New Year, because there were plenty of those, as well.

The front office was getting a makeover, a fact with which some people were pleased and others were not. Pleased or not, one of the new cubicles had to be made ready for the receptionist's return the next day. And, again, the people calling or coming to the door, didn't realize that the majority of the time I had to hop up from crawling on the floor, sorting items, to answer their incessant calls.

So the day went. Things that needed to get done remained undone, but by the end of the day, I was too worn out to care.

Then, the miraculous thing happened this morning. On my way to work, I was recalling my unusually good mood of the previous morning, and I had a revelation. Instead of looking at my Monday and thinking how it had ruined my good mood, I thought how blessed I was that God gave me such a good mood to combat such a trying day.

There are so many circumstances clamoring for us to be afraid or angry. To be anxious or agitated. But there really are blessings all around us. In spite of our moods, hungry people were fed yesterday. In spite of problems, another step has been made toward "new life" for the men in our Transformation Program. A woman who needed food, despite the fact that she worried about the weight of the basket, received abundantly above what she, apparently, asked or thought. In fact several men, women, and families received baskets of food or bags of hygiene items. Men, women, and children, without home or help, were able to find shelter at the Mission. Because of the generosity of those who give to others. It is this generosity that makes it possible for us to continue to help others.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. Matthew 6:34

No comments: